FSFE hackathon 2018
- 2018-11-24 10:00
- This will be the first FSFE hackathon.
If you like to join the hackathon you do not necessarily need to put your hands on the actual design or the markup language. We also welcome if you like to do a translation-sprint or a wiki-sprint or any other web-presence-related sprint and do that together with the web-team, share ideas and spent social evenings (Friday and Saturday) together.
We will prepare the location and an issue-tracker to work on for the hackathon and facilitate the creation of groups to also work on more complex issues together. To do this properly we need to know about your participation. If you have interest to be part of the hackathon, please put your name on the list until September 1st:
- Michael Weimann
- Johannes Zarl-Zierl
- Thomas Doczkal
- Alexandra Busch
- [Your Name]
Please, make sure you bring a device. If you cannot, let us know. FSFE can maybe offer a device to use. To help let everything run smooth, please make sure that your device
has git installed: https://wiki.fsfe.org/TechDocs/Git
forked and cloned the website repository: https://git.fsfe.org/FSFE/fsfe-website
has the local build system working: https://wiki.fsfe.org/TechDocs/Mainpage/BuildLocally
Friday, November 23
- You are welcome to join us for dinner and share the latest gossip regarding Free Software, the FSFE, web development or your neighbour's cat. To do so, you can either join us directly at 19:00h at the restaurant King King - Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße 17, 10178 Berlin (Asian cuisine)
- Or, in case you arrive earlier, you can join us in our office (but not before 16:00h and not later than 18:30h), where we will leave to the restaurant from.
- Or, you only come for drinks after the dinner. We do not yet know where we go and decide organically depending on group size and available seats. If you like to join later, get in contact with me (+49 17696031933)
Saturday, November 24
- We meet at 10:00a.m. in the Onion Space and hack until the evening around 18:00.
- Lunch break is at 12:30 and we are going to a place near by called "bekech Anti Café" , address: Exerzierstraße 14, 13357 Berlin.
- Dinner will start around 18:00 and we will order pizza from an Italian place called Stranero pizzeria.
Afterwards the FSFE invites you to the Planetarium for a Pink Floyd: dark side of the moon experience (https://www.planetarium.berlin/veranstaltungen/pink-floyd-dark-side-moon)
After that we enjoy a drink together
Sunday, November 25
- Again, beginning from 10:00 we hack on until 16:00 in the afternoon, even though people are free to leave whenever they need.
- Lunch break has been foreseen for 12:30 at restaurant Mr Hoang (Vietnamese), address: Gerichtstraße 30, 13347 Berlin
The Onion Space is a co-working space located in Wedding, Berlin. Exact location is:
- Gottschedstrasse 4, 13357 Berlin
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5332953789 Next U-Bahn station is U Nauener Platz (U9)
- As already written in the introduction, we concentrate this time on our front page. If you have another burning issue which you would like to hack on, you are free to do so, but we really like to make a difference on the FSFE's front page primarily. It is technically interesting, can be easily separated in multiple subtasks and every progress is something very visible for every visitor around the world. The front-page is dynamically built and cut down into three major frameworks that shall be improved:
- a) The news-section, b) the events-section and c) everything else around
- update slider and integrate tagline
- integrate a PR-material picture/link on the front-page
- solve language issue with news and event-entries shown on front-page (remove front-page tag)
- re-arrange "more news", "newsletter" etc into the news-frame
- have a particular "become a supporter"-frame incl. a changing video of a contributor
- consistently tag news-entries
- improve the CSS to visually show an introducing summary of each news-item (bold)
- Overwork right column of news-page (put NL before press release, graphic etc)
- Introduce a right column
- consistently tag event-entries
- Include tagging + the most common used tags in the event-announcement-tool
- Make the three tags visible as they are on the news-page with search-option
- to get more people to use it, think about solutions of templates for recurring events like local group meetings
- The are we are staying has a high crime rate, but if you do normal activities, it is totally safe at night. Just make sure to avoid pickpocketing by safeguarding your stuff
- Make sure to have some cash in pockets. In Berlin you often cannot pay with credit card or other cards.