This page is hard to read or its content needs to be updated. Please improve this page and remove this box when you are done. Reasons:
- outdated content
- since this is still on the agenda, the page should be updated to reflect the current status
This task is part of the FellowshipHacks/Projects/Wiki project
Enable non-Fellows to have an account on the wiki, to promote more participation to campaigns etc.
Volunteers are always welcome! Have a look at FellowshipHacks to know how you can help (subscribe the fellowship-hackers list!)
Last updated on: 091107
We have a test implementation on http://wiki-test.fsfe.org (see below for some details). Please report your suggestions!
Current test implementation
Some notes about the current implementation available on https://wiki-test.fsfe.org/FrontPage?action=login
The MoinMoin login form invites people to join the Fellowship, or to request a guest account
- Guest accounts usernames automatically get a "Guest-" prefix prepended
- Guest accounts are created in a disabled state, a notification email message is sent to an administrator, and the administrator must enable or delete the account.
This feature derives from the patch published at http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinPatch/NewAccountApproveMail (updated to work with recent versions of MoinMoin, and adapted to our needs)
The MoinMoin password recovery feature is disabled and replaced by a link to the Fellowship site password recovery page, and by an invitation to contact us (for guest users)
As for the licensing policy, we used the standard "page_license" feature of MoinMoin, only changing slightly the message that appears in the edit page. The exact content of the policy page is still subject to debate: https://wiki-test.fsfe.org/LicensingPolicy
This is a list of subtasks to do for the completion of the task.
- Discuss policy-related problems
- Discuss technical-related problems
- Decide how to implement the solution
- Implement the solution
- Should account creation be free (like in standard Moinmoin installs) or somehow moderated?
Do we want to enforce some prefix (like guest-) to non-Fellows usernames?
Maybe it's better to add the disclaimer The pages on this wiki do not constitute a statement by FSFE to the standard footer on each page?
- (if we want) How to moderate account creation?
Perhaps: disable "newaccount" action and manually create users with the moin command
- (if we want) How to enforce a prefix on usernames?
- If we moderate account creation: see above
- Otherwise: I guess we must patch Moinmoin...
- What moinmoin authenticator should we use for non-Fellows
- (if we want) Have separate ACLs for Fellows and guests
see auth_methods_trusted configuration
- see "Known" and "Trusted" ACL keywords
- f-h@ thread 080401
- f-h@ thread 080417
- f-h@ thread 080419 (details on implementation of WO users)
- f-h@ thread 080518 (dynamic problems)