Blog default settings
This task is part of the FellowshipHacks/Projects/Blog project.
We must ensure that newly created blogs on the WPMU platform get correct default configuration settings. (this must apply both to blogs created automatically during the migration from EZ and to new blogs)
People working on this task.
Volunteers are always welcome! Have a look at FellowshipHacks to know how you can help
Last updated on: 090202
All done, except for user creation (some solutions being tested).
Disabling user creation: test the following hack: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6059 (or find alternative solutions)
- Make a list of all the configuration options/features and decide their default value
- See how each feature is managed in WPMU
- Configure WPMU (and/or fix our procedures) to ensure correct default values
List of relevant settings
Restrictions to fellow accounts
- Each Fellow should only have 1 blog
- Seems OK; I couldn't find a blog creation feature in the user admin panel
- Each Fellow blog should only have 1 user
- The default WPMU installation allows users to create other local users and add them to their blog
- This should be reserved to the site administrator (only for special blogs)
- There is no way to disable it in plain WPMU, some hacks are available...
Default settings for posts/comments
- Allow comments on posts
- EZ: only registered users (Fellows) can comment
GUI: Setting -> discussion -> Default article settings -> "Allow people to post comments on the article"
- Database: wp_options.default_comment_status
- Default state: "open"
- Desired state: "open" as long as we require registration or have antispam measures / comment approval, otherwise: "closed"
- Require registration to comment
GUI: Setting -> General settings -> "Membership"
- DB: wp_options.comment_registration
- Default state: 0 (don't require registration to comment)
- Desired state: OK, as soon as we have antispam system in place or comment approval (see below)
- Administration approval for publication of comments
GUI: Settings -> Discussion -> Before a comment appears
- Default state: comment published if
- name and email
- Author has another comment previously authorised
- comment contains less than 2 links
Otherwise => moderation queue
- Desired state: a reasonable alternative setup: moderate all comments
- GUI: Check "An administrator must always approve the comment"
- DB: comment_moderation=1
- Enable Atom and XML-RPC remote publishing
GUI: Settings -> Writing -> Remote Publishing
- Default: disabled
- Desired: enabled
Other relevant settings
- Search engines
GUI: Settings -> Privacy
- DB: blog_public
- Default: blocked
- Desired state: blocked + advice users how to enable
- Permalink structure
GUI: Settings -> Permalinks
- DB: permalink_structure
- "Day and name": "/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/"
- "Default": "" (empty)
- "Numeric": "/archives/%post_id%"
- Default setting: Day and name
- Desired setting: "Default" (...?p=123) or "Numeric" (.../archives/123)
Plugin/theme upload is managed centrally; each user can choose amongst the plugins/themes made available by the central site administrator.
About themes: we should enforce our custom theme.