This is the origanal Text and Web-page proposal by Henner:
Different Sections should be seen as different Pages:
| Home | Downloads | More Information | How can I help? | Contact |
On this web-site we would like to inform you about free alternatives to the proprietary Acrobat Reader by Adobe.
"Free alternatives? Isn't Adobe Acrobat Reader free?"
- Well, unfortunately it is a not as "free" as we would like it to be.
We - the Free Software Foundation Europe - think that a Software should provide the following four freedoms, for it to be called free:
- The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
- The freedom to study and modify the program.
- The freedom to copy the program so you can help your neighbor.
- The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
Adobe Acrobat Reader does not offer you these freedoms. You can learn more about Free Software at | More Information | or head directly to the | Downloads | to download a free PDF-Viewer.
There is a good overview of PDF viewers on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF_software
Unfortunately we are only aware of one Free PDF-Viewer for Windows:
List features and deficiencies?
Please contact us, if you know of other Free PDF-Viewers for Windows.
The following Programs can be installed on most GNU/Linux-Distributions through the Package-Management-Systems:
I didn't really understand this part of henners text, here it is in german:
- Zudem wurde durch Adobes Strategie, den Acrobat Reader kostenlos verfügbar zu machen, dass PDF-Format als Standard etabliert, der zwar offengelegt ist, auf den Adobe jedoch ein Copyright hält. Adobe ist also die einzige Firma die Software für zukünftige PDF Versionen entwickeln kann, da der Termin der Offenlegung einer neuen Version durch Adobe selbst bestimmt wird.
How can I help?
If you offer PDF-files for download please include our button - or even better: replace Adobe's button with ours!
You may also contact us with your Homepage if you want to be listed as a supporter.
- Use Free Software and talk with your friends about the problem of proprietary software
- Tell webmasters to link to our page in addition or instead of to proprietary software
- Tell us what you think about our compaign and inform us if you have information that is more up-to-date
I think the first page should just be a list with the different operating systems and links to Free Software PDF readers and a little bit of text that those are all Free Software and what that means. Than an about section where we explain why we do this campaign. The How can I help page with buttons to link to pdfreaders.org and information what else you can do to support us. And the contact page. -- mk 2008-09-20 10:46:35